Sunday, February 6, 2022

Jemma's faith at 6 years old.


I was on mumsie duty for a few nights. It was time for Jemma to go to bed.

We lay in her mom and dad's bed and I sing to her prayers and little songs they request.

One of the songs Jemma loves has this verse:

   TAKE IT, IF SHE GIVES YOU HER HEART DON'T YOU

BREAK IT, SHE'S THE BEST THING THAT YOU'LL EVER HAVE..."

She asks what the song means to me and I tell her, something maybe her Daddy will sing to her Crush. Then she begins talking about "Bad people" and what you can do if you see bad people. I say I would probably call the "Poe Poe". No in true Jemma fashion- "Pray, Mumsie, you can always pray."

 OH, this girl - who doused herself in holy water when she got off the bus as she recited from her prayer card. The very same gal who literally teared up on Christmas morning when she said to her family,  "guys, the true meaning of Christmas is family."

 I close my eyes and pretend to sleep because girl will never stop talking if you don't. She is laying on her back and I peak past my eyelashes to see if she is falling asleep. Her eyes are closed and her long eyelashes are showing in the light of the bathroom. 

But she is not sleeping. Her two hands are linked together in prayer. Every few seconds she uncurls her fingers to do the sign of the cross, I think her prayer session is over. Not yet, she relinks them to pray again and does this at least five times.

This makes me want to cry. Our flightly blonde gal who wants to be a "you-tuber when she grows up" has all the faith of a mustard seed. Her innocence and pure heart makes me never want her to grow up. 

Eventually she turns over but not before wrapping my arm around her like a warm blanket.

Another song comes to this Mumsie mind...

YOUR GOING TO MISS THIS, YOUR GOING TO WANT THIS BACK

YOUR GOING TO WISH THESE DAYS HADN'T GONE SO FAST.

No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...