Thursday, January 21, 2021

SO MUCH TO SAY......

 I have so much to say, so much to write and because there is so much,
I find myself having trouble starting but I have to start somewhere before
all these wonderful (bragging again lol) thoughts get behind me.
Let me start out by saying....
I FAUGHT THE VIRUS AND AM WINNING!
I do not say this lightly or in any bragging fashion as what I had
was minimal compared to so many others, especially my
extended Guilbeau family, my daughter in laws daddy.
I am as of today, 57 years old and even with all I have
been though medically speaking, nothing, I mean nothing,
compares to the inability to breathe.
Very little is free today but oxygen is and when you know its there,
you know you won't be getting a bill for it but you just can't get it
in your body..... well it's scary. 
I had many ideas for me New Year of 2021,
I was making many personal changes but first was going
to be spending New Years Weekend in Miss. with two of my
4 sisters. We headed home on Jan 4th but I knew I was not well
days before we headed home. I was terrified, not for myself
but for my older sister, 16 years myjunior who almost died
of Covid months before. Thankfully she and my other sis, C did
not get Covid. When I returned home that Sunday evening I knew
I had a full raging Corona virus. 
Monday AM I drove myself to Ochsner Emergency room in Plaquemine.
there I not only tested for Covid but pneumonia with fevers climbing past 102.5.
MY oxygen level was hard to keep at 92 but I could go home as long as
I could keep my sats above 92 and monitor my temp.
I bunkered down in the cottage, thinking few days to rest and I would be okay.
Not the case. Each day I tried to tell myself I was better, until the Thursday
and I awakened not able to breathe and walk at the same time.
The Covid had also attacked the Guilbeau home and our Big Frank 
was very sick as well. Roddie picked me up rushed me back to Er 
and my o2 sats were 88! Never had I ever understood what a plastic piece
placed in your nose with clean, full oxygen being given to you was a God Send!
Of course I was afraid, but I knew I was not nearly as sick as many others.
A ct Scan showed double pneumonia and I decided on being admitted as
I knew I needed more help than I could get home.
I can write about 100 blogs on all I want to say, especially the
wonderful facility of Ochsners. Plaquemine Emergency room,
to O'niel Baton Rouge, everyone of any that has the Ochsner name
join the long list of my hero's. I had great nurses, my night nurse was great,
unfortunately I can't remember her name as some of the time
I have not many memories of the night.
I do want to speak of my day nurse, Oh my wonderful day nurse.
I don't want to break her anonymity but she does know I write a blog
and she was okay with speaking about our encounters.
I will call her Crys here.
I am a nurse, retired, mind you, but I am a nurse.
Before becoming sick I knew and thought of all those wonderful medical
professionals out there putting themselves and their families at risk
to help so many others trying to live and get back to their own homes and
loves. 
Never before had it impacted me to tears.
My Crys. she listened to me even when I could not speak.
She understood my fears without me saying them.
Once I could share a little more, she shared about her children,
including her baby two year old twins who had been babies
when this pandemic started. I think how brave, how brave she and her 
coworkers leave their own children and families home, putting herself
at risk just so she could try and get others back to their homes.
It is deep y'all. If you allow yourself to think about it, expecially as
you are fighting to breath, it will bring tears to your eyes.
Never did she complain never did she make even my simple requests
seem trivial. I knew she was busy but as I began to feel better, she took 
as much time as it took to explain all I needed to know.
One the second day, through tears I tried to explain to her just
how impactful she and her coworkers are to me. Our country fighting
against each other as they show up daily not worrying about anything
but getting us better. I explain that I am probably one of the least sickest 
and she made me feel like I was her only one she had to care for.
There are just no words to explain to a nurse how much she means to you.
I hope I did it a little bit. AS I left, I wanted to hug her.
I am a hugger, and this pandemic has taken this away from me but as
I was being wheeled to discharged, she told me she journaled and 
would love to follow my blog... we shared information and we gave air hugs.
I was choked up as I said to her,
"You have been one of the best parts of this whole experience."
I meant it, Ochsner, you are doing it right,
Crys, you and I will forever be friends.
You have not heard the last of us.
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
More to come!

1 comment:

Crys said...

Your words have been such an encouragement and a warm verbal hug to my soul, to know that we nurses do still make a difference seeing more than just the patient. I am truly awestruck to know that I impacted your stay to such a degree and so thankful you felt safe in my care. I was so honored at your compliment, coming from and finding out you are a veteran nurse of 30 years.. I could not make it through the tuff days or the burn out with out patients like you. Some faces I will never forget bc they too impacted me and how I deliver care. I am so thrilled that you are doing well my friend! I’m sorry covid stole our hug, but ever thankful I got to know you

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...