Monday, March 7, 2022

HOME FOR THE WEEKEND

 It was the first time I have been to my down the bayou,

Lafourche Parish town since Ida in August.

Because I love deep and think deeper,

I knew it would be hard.

I cannot put into words in one blog just how many

things I thought about while visiting with my cousins

to celebrate one of our own's memorial, visiting in my 

Aunt's home from when i was a child,

Pajama parties at my sister then my nieces home

with my sisters.....

Walking the same steps around Golden Meadow Junior High

that I did when I was a girl, that all my siblings did,

as well as my own children. The same places that my Dad

took photos because he was the school photographer...

Supper with the besties that went on for so long that we had

to order dessert after three hours before they asked us to leave.

Running into good friends at almost every place I went.

Most of these were fun and beautiful but the way I felt

riding down our bayou seeing not only the destruction of a storm

but the resilience of our people is hard to explain.

Riding in neighborhoods that I grew up in that are just not recognizable.

The subdivision where my children played, does not look familiar to me anymore.

My childhood home, still standing tall and mighty reminded me of

how many times we evacuated and turning the corner to see

Dursette Lane, hoping we had a home, and each time it was still standing.

Life is just such an odd thing.

No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...