Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Lafourche Gazette and new blood

Although I now reside in Plaquemine, Iberville Parish,

for the first 40 years of my life I lived in Lafourche Parish, below Intracoastal

otherwise known as "Down the bayou".

This term consisted of a few small towns that run in to each other

and you are not really sure where one begins and the other ends.

Plaquemine is quite similar to this, with one exception,

there is no bayou running between the two highways of 1 and 308.

It was a great place to grow up and to raise my children.

Like all small towns, almost everyone knows each other and 

gossip can run rapid. Yet let someone in the community get sick or 

pass away and prayers and help come from the whole bayou.

Growing up in Golden Meadow was a great place to be a kid.

Everything a kid wanted was in walking distance of my home.

The things I could not walk to came to me in the way of 

our hometown newspaper, The Lafourche Gazette.

A free newspaper that was thrown in your driveway once a week back in the 1970's.

How I waited for this newspaper! Always being a big reader,

I knew this paper would give me all the information I would need

to fill me in on the happenings of our bayou.

Yes, it also included some local gossip, making it popular as

when someone had a loose tongue it was said that they could

"work for the Lafourche Gazette"

It told of new businesses opening, where the best sales were,

who had died and what was for sale. Classified section was usually 

less than a page but there you could find a job, see who was achieving 

awards at their schools. There were tributes to family members who had passed

and "letters to the editor".

I loved letters to the editor and have been known to put my thoughts in 

a few publications of the "throw away paper" as my family called the small

bundle of information. Even when I left the bayou at 40 to move 

to the big town of Thibodaux I received the Gazette as you could have it mailed

to you if you ever "crossed the Intracoastal" and moved up North.

Then, the World Wide Web happened. Electronics became the way

of life for most of the world and our bayou followed the trend, 

albeit a tad slower than the rest of the world.

Enter Casey Gisclair. A young man at this time, he grew up when

the WWW was becoming a thing. He became an editor for

our little newspaper and incorporated it to the digital world. 

Once most of us had found Facebook, we realized that we could

now continue our walk with our beloved Gazette thanks to Casey.

On any given day you can, from Facebook, go to 

Bayou memories, Lafourche Gazette, Casey Gisclair and find there

some of his work. Whether it be his Weekend Warriors, Player of the Week,

or my favorite online thread, Back in the Day, you will find

his work to be that of wonderful work ethics and pride in 

the community so many of us call home.

Being the child of Freddie Collins who was a professional photographer

back before taking a photo was as easy as picking up your phone,

When I see a photo my Dad took my heart skips a beat.

When Casey showcases a certain date, I go back to see what was

happening down the bayou on that said day.

I am honored to be a part of not only our DTB family

but to speak highly of Casey and our little "Throw away paper"

that has survived through the decades.

It's a way of living that I like to call "cheers years"

"Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name,

and they always glad you came..."

Thank you Casey for making this possible.

Thank you Lafourche Gazette for continuing the legacy so many of us

depend upon. 



No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...