Thursday, February 18, 2021

What's a Karen?

 I am not sure when on where the title "KAREN" 
started from....
but now, whenever someone oversteps what the normal
person would do, they are called Karen.
While looking for a definition of this, I am struck
with the fact that there is actually a group of people:
"a member of a group of people of eastern and southern Myanmar"
However, in our world of today this is not what
"being a KAREN" means.
I don't have a definition but we all know what
being a Karen looks like.
Valentine's Day, boo and I sitting down where we spend
most of our Valentine's at, (don't want to mention name of
restaurant and be labeled a Karen)
We are looking forward to a quiet little corner to talk and 
enjoy the food, and I, for bottomless Mimosa's
We did a brunch so as to be home before the freeze
begins that is so unusual for our South Louisiana area.
Soon, we get our appetizers, we love them
but we also begin to hear loud speaking from the kitchen area.
We are close to the kitchen but not on top of it.
The noise get louder and as I make eye contact with
another customer at the table 6 feet away,
we realize their is an argument going on in the kitchen.
It is not just a one word argument, it is a full, loud
argument between more than two people.
I call over one of the waitresses as by now, it has
gone on for a few minutes and no let up is noted.
"Can you please close the door to the kitchen or
ask the arguers to take the business to another place
we don't want to hear that on Valentine's day"
She has not yet heard the argument but she says
will take care of it.
As she makes her way to her other customer she
hears what we hear, excuses herself from her
patrons and goes to the kitchen. 
Almost immediately, the fussing is stopped.
I look at Randy and I ask.
"Does that make me a Karen?"
No he answers.
Then we have a conversation over what makes someone
a Karen. We decide that had I gotten up, went in to the
kitchen and asked them to take it somewhere else,
that would have made me a Karen. 
I perhaps would have done that.....
but I am proud to say, I did it the right way...
In Boo and I's eyes anyway.
This brings on other conversations,
"What is a Karen really?"
"What is the male version of a karen?
(I looked it up, internet says Ken)
All this story to say, I have seen
a few Karen's since then. 
I am still trying my best to thank the people who help me,
letting them know I appreciate them.
We were without electricity for 30 something hours.
Because I have a home generator and a gas fireplace
I was okay. I was worried about my neighbors, 
offered my home to some. When the electical workers
came to my yard, right outside my studio, to change
wires that had to be replaced, I opened a window
and thanked them, offered them coffee.
My neighbor, Rhonda had already served them hot chocolate
so they turned down my coffee.
I think they thought I may fuss them,
I told them how appreciative I was as its cold out 
and I know they wished they could be home and warm.
They thank me saying not everyone is as understanding.
I laugh and say having a generator makes it a little easier for
me to be grateful. Uncomfortableness brings out the worst in some.
Our electricity is restored but my internet and TV is not.
I am not a big TV person but my internet is crucial.
I cannot get it rebooted so I call ATT and speak to a person.
It seems a technician has to come out and the first available
day is Saturday.... Saturday? I have the grandgirls from
Thursday to Saturday am, I don't let them watch tv or get on
iPads except for at night but won't be none of that here.
I could have complained, 
instead I thanked her even though my insides were
screaming "Karen"
We shall wait and in due time all will be well...
patience it's what I am trying to practice.
BE patient.

No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...