Sunday, September 29, 2019

THE END OF SEPTEMBER...

The end of September means also
the end of CHILDHOOD CANCER MONTH.
Being one of the very few who survived 
this dreadful disease in the 60's at the age of 5,
means this month is part of my life at the age of 56.
Of course, I have seen the Sunday informercials 
from St. Jude, have seen the short stories of the same
tv specials, but I always felt removed from it,
not part of that gang.
Then I began working on this book that
one day, I will publish. Gathering information about myself,
gathering information on how treatments have changed,
how the survival rate has grown.
My empathy has changed me.
Now when I watch or study about childhood cancer,
remember my visits to Vanderbilt University Hospital,
I am reminded, I am those children.
This weekend, I had the grand girls and I thought,
"I was Jolee's age" 
when I was diagnosed,
"A little older than Jemma..."
The fact is, I suffered through those treatments that
saved my life. Many of the things I face now, medically 
speaking are from those things that were given to me then.
Yet, I have no bitterness. I am alive, I live, I hope
I give back...
These babies I see are still part of Cancer,
we have not rid this world of Childhood Cancer.
So, I say to any parents out there who are watching 
their little babies suffer through chemo and radiation,
prepare for their survival and the long term issues they may have,
Be patient, your little child has changed.
Yes, they have been through things no little child should 
ever have to face. 
But, they have also become more,
they have become the hope to others out there who will
face the Big C. Their hearts have been changed, their
thoughts on life have been changed.
It is so very hard to believe, they have become better
because of what they have overcome.
They will share their stories and change people views.
For those sweet babies that are not as fortunate as I,
those who have succumbed to the dreaded big C,
treatments used will become better because of their
and their family's bravery.
Their bravery throughout their battle will be remembered 
by so many of all ages.
It is never easy to write or speak of childhood cancer.
I find it harder to add to my book not when I learn of
the things I faced but when I see the suffering of another family.
I say, I hope when these families hear, read my story,
they will know they belong to an elite group
a group that must continue to carry that torch of 
hope and survival for so many who come after us.
I hope when you think of me,
IT IS THIS YOU SEE.
Hope, love, empathy, survival, Life.



No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...