Wednesday, September 25, 2019

BARKER HOME

About four months ago, I was asked by
a young woman to paint her grandparents home for
herself, her twin sister, and her GodMother who was also her
aunt. Finally the time had come for me to do this order.
I contacted Kristen Barker Blanchard and asked if 
she was still interested. She was and that began her pouring
memories out to me to make her paintings special.
I drove by the home and took photos of the home 
as I like to do as it gives me a feel of the home.
It was a traditional brick home with a beautiful
brick fence surrounding it, It may not have been special
to many but the fact that the home was built in 1963 said
lots to me about the home. No one built or could even afford
a home such as this in the 60's. I became intrigued and 
Kristen began with the memories. She was disappointed
in the photos I took as she said her Grandparents who have both
passed always had the most beautiful yard.
I reminded her that the good thing about the home portraits,
I could make them look nice. 
With the help of her Dad, her Nannie and herself, she
began telling me about the home. 
What was planted in the flower beds, what was important.
My original sketch did not include the brick fence.
Then Kristen spoke of how proud her Grandfather was 
to have that brick fence surrounding his home.
I added a piece to each end.
Finally three portraits of the special home was painted
and awaiting pick-up.
What I love most about what I do is learning and then
meeting the clients I work with who then become my friends.
Each one has become a friend if they were not already that.
Kristen came over and OMG, it was like meeting a younger 
version of myself. We began talking, I gave her the tour
of the cottage, told her stories of things in my home.
We both had so much to say and each conversation
had so much in common. I knew this young woman
would remain in my life.
I thanked her for the most beautiful writing she 
added to facebook with her paintings.
She spoke of her twin sister, Kayla and how much 
I reminded her of her sister, how she wanted my to meet her
Mom.... It went on and we had an instant bond.
I kept feeling like I had met her before, I chalked
it up to all the texts we had shared over two weeks.
Then her twin sister, Kayla requested a friend of Facebook.
She reminded me we had met at jury duty and had a long
conversation while waiting for the duty to begin.
Then it all came back to me, I had met this girl before
and it was in that meeting that had me feeling I 
knew Kristen. Yes, I love what I do.
I don't just paint, I suspend memories for people and
then these people become part of me.
Kristen and her sister, Kayla are two of those
new people to my village. 
Kristen, thank you so much for entrusting me
with such wonderful memories. I am so very glad
I could make this dream for you a reality.
Growing up is not always easy but I pray
that each time you all see this portrait you are
transported to that little girl you once were 
when memories in this home were made.
Love to the Barkers!

No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...