Monday, September 16, 2019

CONCERT OF CARS


The article reads:
LEAD SINGER OF THE CARS DIES AT AGE OF 75.

I am immediately thrown back into memories of 1980.
A Junior in high school when my besties and I heard this
band for the first time.
I had to buy the cassette tape right away and listen,
memorize ever word to every song.
Then, THEN...
A concert coming to our area??
My thoughts,
"Who will want to come?"
" My Momma and Daddy will never let me go!"
"Do I own a Bic lighter for the lights part of a concert?"
"Is this an excused absence?"
I go forth to the besties and we begin to devise a plan.
My Parentals are not only letting me go, on a school night,
but letting me drive AND stay in a hotel.
Oh what a different world it is today..
I don't remember being the one to drive.
I do remember that along with Ann and Laurie, besties,
Tina, Ann's sister and Ellen a mutual friend of ours was
also with us. We went and booked ourselves into a hotel...
We felt so grown up! 
Then we found out we were staying in the same hotel as 
the band members. I just knew if they got one glimpse of
us girls they would fall madly in love with us,
invite us on stage, Well this was MY fantasy, not sure
of anyone else's.
We roamed those halls, in the days before security camera's 
everywhere. We listened at random doors to see 
if we could hear loud band member noises,
to on avail. However, it was a big deal to us when we walked
out of the hotel to go to the concert,
there was their tour bus! Tinted windows did not stop me,
the weirdest of the bunch to wave like a lunatic 
"Just in case they were watching"
Ahhhh the innocence of teen hood.
I can't remember how far we were from the stands,
I don't remember where it was, I don't remember if we
drank cheap draft beer (drinking law then was 18 and two
of the gang were 18).
I do remember we had our Pics and we used them wisely.
 that we sang and danced and knew every word
to every song. It was the only cassette I owned of theirs
so it was a good thing those are the songs they sang.
I would say, for me they were a one album wonder.
After the concert, I moved on to bigger and better bands
but this season of the Cars brings back so many memories.
Now for the last paragraph...
The deal with my parents were I had to go to school the 
day following the concert. I was tired, I tried to get them
to change their minds, to no avail.
I got into the drivers seat to pick up my carpool, 
two being the besties. We flagged down the Dufrene's bakery
bread man and pulled us off each a piece of that
hot, soft french bread. We drove to a place we called the 
mini mall as it had a bunch of little shops that had closed
down. I don't know why we were there, if we were picking 
someone up or just enjoying our french bread,
but I got into my first accident.
Well, unless you count the time I backed the orange Pinto
into our neighbors truck in our street as he was under
it fixing something while his car was on jacks.
Yeah, that happened, another blog entry.
Anyhoo.... a lady drove right into my path.
Yes, she was on the street and I was in a parking lot
getting ready to enter the street but after all,
who does not see a 1979 Cat Shit green Impala?
So, the Cars concert ended with a Car smash up for me.
Daddy met us there, made sure we were all okay,
exchanged information with the other driver.
I thought, well at least now I can go home and
sleep. No such luck, Dad said a deal is a deal,
followed the car with little damage to good old
South Lafourche High School and 
signed us in as tardy.
A deal is a deal, ya know?


No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...