Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Visiting friends, Mr. Bill

Found myself in thibodaux again yesterday with lots of
things to do, one being taking photos of homes I will be painting.
As I drive into Waverly Place, I think of my friend, Patricia.....
"Are you Home" 
my text goes out to her, 
"Yes!"
"I am in your neighborhood, coming visit"
and I did, an added blessing, her little, Em was home
as well for Fall break! A senior now, I was her "Nurse Lilly"
for many years. 
I surprised them with a visit they surprised me with Em.
I over talked just like I always do, they listened like they always do.
Yet, I could tell my dear friend needed some hugging and loving on 
this day, Was happy to provide both!
Excuse the next photo, worst shot ever, but
I also visited Mr. Bill Pitre who broke his hip and recently had surgery.
How I know Mr. Bill, oh in so many ways. 
First, her daughter, Celeste and I graduated from South Lafourche
together, then when we both lived in Thibodaux we reconnected and
became good friends. That friendship took even a bigger twist 
when her Dad, Mr. Bill moved into St. Joseph Manor where my Mom 
was living at the time. 
Mr. Bill will be 90 in just 6 weeks, hurry up, rehab,
we have a a party to go to! 
Mr. Bill is special to me in many ways. We both are
artists, his came on later in life when he found that his terrible
sight was restored in a story he tells as a miracle.
He began drawing and I am proud to own one of his pieces.
The best reason Mr. Bill has a special place in my heart,
the morning after my Mom passed away at the Manor,
It was him I saw coming down the hall with his walker
shaking his head "NO"
I had cried some of course, but when I saw this man,
who had become such a good friend to my Mom in the
months they lived together and a friend to me as well,
I broke down in his hug, I know I wet his shoulder with my
tears, but my shoulder was wet as well as he broke down
on the loss my Mom, reminding me that she was not just
our Mom but friends to many. 
Since her passing I try and visit Mr. Bill when I can.
Each time I visit, I am fussed because it has been too long.
Celeste and I have remained good friends, texting often.
So, yesterday, I text,
"Is Dad still in hospital? Can I visit"
"Yes, please do he would love to see you!"
First I stop to buy him a new sketch pad, colored pencils,
pencil sharpener. 
I mean what else do you bring a fellow artist when he is stuck
in the hospital.
As I enter his room, he is asleep with Celeste at his side.
The minute he hears me he awakens and a big smile spreads
across his face.
"What you will do to get me to visit, a broken hip, really?"
We laugh and he agrees. I visit for about an hour,
Celeste and I and her wonderful Dad and I 
am honored that I have friends of all ages.
I can tell he is getting tired, I kiss and say my goodbyes.
I am not home yet, when I get this photo on text from
Celeste....

My Mr. Bill already drawing with his new supplies 
and it makes me smile, it makes my eyes wet,
to know he has something to do on these long days
awaiting the body to heal.
In 6 weeks this man will be 90, I tell him 
"Hurry up and heal, we have a party to attend!"
Friends, loved ones come in all shapes, sizes and ages 
and I am blessed with so many!

No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...