Saturday, March 9, 2019

Mardi Gras 2019

"Wanna go to a parade?"
"Nah, I am not much into parades."
"I have a friend on the parade route in NOLA"
"New friends, Heck Yeah!"
This was a conversation between myself and the boo.
The fact about Mardi Gras is, growing up in Golden Meadow,
Mardi Gras and parades were a big deal as we lived
on the parade route.  My Dad was not much of a holiday celebrater
but when it came to Mardi Gras, he pulled out all the hospitality.
Cooked the biggest batch of homemade chili,
even the bathroom received a shining.
Everyone was invited to the Collins homestead.
Open door policy where there were times we were sure
people we didn't even know came for hot dogs and chili.
When we heard the sirens, our spot in front of Randolph's Restaraunt
                                    was blocked off and we all walked to Highway 1 to watch
the parade. Beautiful memories.
Then, when I was 20, my Daddy died.
Mardi Gras for me was never the same. 
I lost my love for the parade.
However, meeting friends of the boo and learning
about their lives, I am all over that!
Hence, the parades of 2019,  celebrated at the Bergeron home.
I had met Ralph at Boo's Mom's memorial.
He greeted us at the door with his 100-pound pup, Appolo.
Soon I met the rest of the family, 
Cheryl, his wife, and his two adult daughters
Val and Claire. Such a laid back family.
The conversation was great as we shared our lives.
We walked to the parade after a lunch of
grilled burgers and hot dogs.
As we waited for the parades I monitored the crowd.
I noticed a family oriented spot, many families,
some with little ones who seemed like special needs children.
As the Parade Of Argus passed, I also was aware of each
the floats had special needs children and adults.
Having been a school nurse for 11 years I was impressed and
curious. I just had to find out about Argus and the crowds.
I picked a Daddy who had been holding his little son
who I could tell was also special needs at the age of approximately four.
" Do you know anything about the parade of Argus?"
He explains that his little son has Autism and his daughter
is deaf, this parade is the one they always come to as
it supports the needs of special children like his own.
I watch the parade with open eyes, sharing my catches with
this sweet little boy. I am now an Argus Fan.
After the parades that lasted over an hour,
three right after the other, I danced and held my hand up
for beads just like the rest of them.
I have to say, after so many years since my last parade,
I have not had that much fun since I was a child.
We then walked back to the Boo's friends home where
we sat on the porch to watch the crowds disperse and
walk to their cars. Oh, the memories of yesterdays come flooding back.
Sitting in front of our street watching the traffic on Highway 1.
The Bergeron's not only were friendly and laid back,
but I felt like we had been friends for a long time.
We spent another few hours in their most beautiful home
sharing stories and I had a new audience and yes, 
my "diarrhea of the mouth" was in full swing, telling
one life story after the other. So much so that my cheeks hurt.
Yet,  my new friend, Ralph was a fellow storyteller,
going all out to tell a story of going to Chauvin for fishing
with his girls. Where some may just say,
"Yes we go fishing in Chauvin"
Ralph made a story explaining start to finish, even with Cajun
accents the story of their trips, leaving nothing out.
I am enamored by the way he tells his stories.
Cheryl, his wife is also such a wonderful host.
She is a curious listener, asking questions and looking up things
we speak of on her phone, truly interested in things I share
about down the bayou, what I still call home.
The boo, a quiet but great partner to my stories
as he has heard them all yet he never stops me, allows
me to share with my new friends.
I never go to someone's home empty-handed.
That morning Boo and I made a boo-yee cake and they not 
only enjoy it but want to find out about its name, etc.
Dusk is settling when the Boo and I decide it is time to leave
 our friends. Friends we now are, having also become
friends on Facebook. We are not home yet when I receive a text
from Cheryl thanking us for coming, for all the interesting
conversation and looking forward to meeting us for brunch
one Sunday soon.
When you meet new friends who make you feel so welcomed
you must consider yourself blessed.
I am so thankful that Boo gave me the chance to attend this
parade which led me to the Bergeron's.
Because of this and the hospitality of this family I have
a newly found love for parades.
It will be a friendship that I can see will become long lasting.
Looking forward to our next outing celebrating
the friendship with the Bergeron's.


No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...