Thursday, September 13, 2018

SEPTEMBER, CHILDHOOD CANCER AWARENESS

Every year, in September, I make some type of post 
or blog on childhood cancer awareness.
Each year I think, "No one wants to hear this story again..."
Then today, I get my St. Jude Calendar in and am reminded
that if we don't talk about it, then donations stop.
So here I go, my yearly pledge to try and end childhood cancer.
1968, No internet, no facebook, no Go Fund Me accounts,
only one little girl, 5 years old born the baby of a large 
family and older parents. 
That day, everyone in my family has a different memory
and of course the stories I have been told through the years.
Five years old with an incurable, rare kidney cancer, Wilms' Tumor.
Funny as now this type of cancer is 90% curable but there
are still those who die from it.
I remember that something was wrong, and I was afraid
as I had never seen my Daddy cry, I remember
being told that instead of staying in Raceland we
were going to go to a bigger hospital in New Orleans.
I remember my Daddy tying a white handkerchief
to the antenna of the car, which was emergency protocol
back then. I was sick, I knew in my body I was very sick,
but my thought are only that of a 5 year old.
I remember thinking maybe I would die as my grandmother
had died just weeks before and I had recently learned
"you go away and you don't come back"
I can't remember pain, only fear.
Fear of the unknown remains my worst one.
WE  got to the big hospital of Touro and my Dad's sister
was there, Aunt GAGald, who lived in Chalmette.
Lots of chaos ensued until this one man walked
into my life. Dr. Fisherman.... What a doctor, what a man...
I was told later, as a teen that he had told my parents 
he had seen 10 cases of this type of cancer before and  none had
survived the 5 year survival mark.
My parents had not much, the hospital did not accept the 
Champus insurance my Dad had from the Military
but this man said, "Sign her over to me and I will never send you
a bill" They signed that paper and he never billed them.
In1968, there were no laws on how much radiation or chemo.
you could receive, this smart doctor had been following
procedures being done in other parts of the world that showed
more promise than the US treatment. I thank the Big Man
often for the fact that I was not diagnosed in 1969, when
the US banned how much radiation that could be used.
I may not be here today had it turned that way.
Dr. Fisherman tried radiation prior to and after surgery
and I and my family all believe that was the reason
I survived this cancer.
Yet, let me take myself and my readers back to the day
of surgery...
After 6 weeks of radiation where a 5 year old child was
told, do not move, not an inch, your Mom or dad will be
looking through that little glass window. I kept my
eyes focused on that little window and one of them were 
always there.
Then the day of surgery, I remember the baby bed being
wheeled to the big doors but I was not in it, I was
crying in my Mothers arms. I was a little thing, only
35 pounds at 5. I was screaming, my Mom was crying
and so was all the entourage that followed us to the
surgery suite that I called my family.
Finally it was time, time to let go of my Mother....
I had to be pried off of her, I don't know who was
holding on more, me or my Momma.
But I remember the words of this very kind surgical nurse,
she told my Momma, 
"I promise you, I will not put her down until she is asleep"
I looked into my mom's face who was staring at this nurse,
tears streaming down her face, nodding her head yes as 
she handed me over and I remember becoming calm then.
I remember the surgery suite and things that were being said
around me. I had a high fever and someone said
"we cannot put her to sleep like that"
I remained in the arms of that same nurse as she sat
on the surgery bed holding me.
Someone said to her,
"You have to put her down so we can prepare her"
and this nurse, wisely said,
"I promised her Mother I would not put her down until she
was asleep and I will not"
Then I remember the mask of ether ( I can still taste that stuff)
and I was out. 
I awakened to more strangers and pain and Dr. Fisherman.
Soon my family was around me and all was right in my world.
I could go on and on with so many things that happened in my
childhood related to this cancer. I keep saying I am working 
on my book, I know there is a book of my life that needs to be
written. Yet this is a blog and it has gone on long enough.
My story is one of so many other children past and present,
alive and passed, some similar some so very different.
September is Childhood Cancer Awareness.
We have access to so much social media...
Donate in the name of a child who suffers from cancer,
donate in the name of my miracle,
Just don't forget that no matter how advanced treatment becomes
children and adults still die from cancer daily.
Thanks for reading a small part of my very long life.
Not a day goes by that I am not thankful for this life.

No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...