Wednesday, August 11, 2021

BIRTHDAY REFLECTION... MINE AND HIS

Another birthday come and gone,
one for me and today for my son.
I talk about it so much, how getting older
just speeds up all things and it almost seems surreal sometimes.
The birthdays that seemed to take forever to get here
when you were awaiting a new bike or another gift you dreamed of.
Then with each passing year, it goes a little bit faster less of
something you look forward to.
while I am a firm believer in age being merely a number,
I still stand in awe of the process of growing old.
gone are the desires of a new car, a bigger house,
the newest gadget.
Replaced by the things that you know bring you joy,
your adult children, your grandchildren, your daughter in laws.
I have become so content with who I am and what I stand for.
I no longer have to stand on my soap box the get my point across
yet, I still do sometimes... Only now I know when it's time to step down
and I can let more go because simplicity is what I seem to want.
When my Dad died at 63, I was 20.
Not even today's legal age.
I remember thinking he is old, he had a good life.
This year I have become so aware of the fact that he was too young.
Too young because I think in 4 more years i don't think I will be ready
to hang up my life.
How does the song go?
"EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN BUT NOBODY WANTS TO GO NOW"
Yeah, that could be my mantra.
Having found the below quote I find myself repeating the last sentence
quite often these days,
"Things are of quality, not quantity"
Peace is what I want and I will not settle for less even if it means
having to have the difficult talk with a child 
or distancing myself from some.
It does not mean I love them any less, for me,
it merely means I am realizing just how short life is
and I have no time for stuffing things that make me bitter inside.
I am a true romantic, wanting to always try and see the good in all
but closing the circle of people around me to be a tighter bunch.

Now for the aspect of my having a Son who turns 36 today...
How can that be possible? Did I have him when I was 10????
How come when I look at him I still see the little boy
who consumed my 20's and 30's along with his sister?
He makes me so proud and remains one of the best birthday 
presents I have ever received. 
He can be a tad sassy sometimes but always helpful whenever he can be.
Having the very rare last name of Riera, given to us by his Father
gives me pride as well. When our small towns see this name
they know we belong together, that they are my people.
He is a balance of both his parents and the mere fact that
I have him is never seen as nothing less than a miracle.
When I watch him with his little girls, I melt a bit.
He is one of the best Fathers and providers I know as
he balances a work ethic, being a good husband and a dad, 
providing for his family, but still finding time to enjoy his life.
He and his sister remain the two best things I have ever 
accomplished in my life.
I am so very grateful that I had the chance to be a Mother to them.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RODDIE JOHN.
As the Dixie Chicks sing"
...MY LOVE WILL FLY TO YOU EACH NIGHT ON 
ANGEL'S WINGS, GODSPEED LITTLE MAN, GODSPEED..."


 

No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...