Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Antique seatbelt still popular today.

Being a child of the 60's seatbelts were not a thing.

They were there, of course but no one used them.

Raised in small towns with two roads and a bayou between them,

we were taught that a seatbelt and electric windows would 

cause us to drown if we went into the bayou, and lots

of people went into the bayou in my day.

Hence came the "antique seatbelt"

We all know of it, it is released at any sign of danger 

or fast breaking for anything,

the old right arm and hand outstretched to the 

front passenger by the driver.

Often my parent or a driving family member has used

this type of seatbelt on myself as I have also done.

Monday, driving home from Baton Rouge, the 

car in the front of me had no breaks so I found

myself putting out the antique seatbelt, even though

the passengers seat was empty. 

Which got my nostalgic mind thinking the way it does.

What a sign of love this is to the people we love.

A hug is a necessary thing for all of us, whether we 

believe it or not. Covid has been hard for me because

hugs and close contact are not warranted right now.

So I was thinking about all the outstretched arm seatbelts

we have gotten or given over the course of our lifetimes.

As I pondered this thought I realized that this procedure

would not really protect the person sitting to our right,

but we still extend it. 

It is a way of not using words to say,

"I care what happens to you, I love you, I will protect you 

in any way I can..... I got you"

what a comfort to know that even in a world where not

many want to discuss feelings, this unspoken task

is one that is spoken world wide.

Share what this outstretched arm, this antique seatbelt means

to you whenever you extend it to someone you love.

Who knows, it may be just what they need to hear at any moment,

" I GOT YOU"

love to you all.

No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...