Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Handwriting still important

 I received a Christmas card handwritten

And before I looked at the address, I knew whom it was from. 

Not because her signature was signed at the end of a beautiful

  love letter but simply because I had seen that same scripted

Writing for the last 40 years.

I was filled with loving feelings as so many times, this very 

same writing can be found in a yearbook, a scrapbook,

Or in another card I have saved. 

It was from one of my two besties since second grade. 

Which brings me to the reason for this blog.

Many schools are no longer spending much time teaching 

Script writing, something that is almost as unique as our fingerprints.

I can remember,  just as I am sure you can, 

The day your teacher explained we were going to start learning script.

 The excitement for me was there just as when

She told us we could start using ink pens.

As each of my grandgirls began learning it in second grade

The Cottage was a place where they perfected their skills

Almost as though it was an another art form they had learned.

I know the world as a I have known is changing.

I understand that I am considered the “old fashioned”.

Some things, however, are still important and something as

unique as our own personal font is part of our character.

It has always been a source of pride to our elders as many could

not read or write but they learned how to write their signature so as not to 

have to put an X where it said to sign.

Going back to the childhood anticipation of learning script,

anything that gives a child that kind of excitement is a necessity.

I know for me, when I received that card,

I was brought back to many times before when that same

writing gave me comfort just as it did that day.

nothing that brings you that much happiness 

should ever be overlooked or discarded. 

Thanks Bestie for reminding me.


No comments:

the inspirational JEMMA KATE

 MY NEIGHBOR DIED... The grand girls didn't know him well but they knew him and they knew he was my friend. Last night I had the pleasur...